Mission, Vision, Values Statement
Mission: HUMC is a community of faithful disciples reflecting the face of Christ to all whom we encounter.
Vision: As a community of Jesus’ followers, Hughes UMC seeks to reflect the face of Christ through
- Worship as a source of joy and spiritual excitement, energizing the church and spreading into our surrounding community
- Being an intergenerational, multiethnic, multicultural community which embraces the society in which we live and serve Christ
- Honoring where people are on their spiritual journey and providing opportunities for growth in faith and service
- Using our gifts, talents and resources to be engaged in face to face, hands on, life transforming ministries.
- Sharing our own encounters and relationships with God so that the story of Jesus Christ is told and the Good News is embodied in all we say and do.
Values: to undergird the mission of Hughes Church, reflecting the face of Christ, we value:
- everything we do is based on the teaching, example and life of Jesus
- living in the Kingdom of God we view reality through the lens of God rather than the lens of society and culture
- following Jesus rather than just believing in him
- welcoming to all
- respect for one another
- break down pre-conceived ideas about people
- care, support and nurture for the members and friends of the Hughes family
- offering ourselves fully in response to God’s blessings
- responsibly utilizing all of our resources (talents, gifts, time, treasure, property, environment, etc.)
- encouraging everyone to discover, develop and deploy their spiritual gifts and talents
- Agape (Unconditional, Sacrificial Love)
- treasure each person like a precious gem
- show acceptance to those who are judged and rejected
- sacrificial love which refuse to count the cost or expect repayment
- identify the needs of others and respond with appropriate action
- Bold, Courageous Faith
- moving from our comfort zones to the Kingdom Zone
- Holy Boldness
- using scripture and prayer while depending on faith to develop discerning and courageous disciples
- look to Christ before you leap!
- continual discernment: what does a leap of faith look like for Hughes Church?